On the Blog
Depression is one of the most prevalent mental diseases today (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Its treatments varies, but one of the most effective ways to treat it is lesser known – Progesterone Therapy. Progesterone and depression are linked together through the activities and processes of enzyme monoamine oxidase inside the body.
What most people are getting wrong on Estrogen Dominance => click here and Grab your Free Videos Series with the Expert
Two Types of Depression
There are two categories to Depression: reactive and endogenous. Stressful events like death, problems with family or loss of job can be the cause of reactive depression. On the other hand, Endogenous depression can arise without any outward reason at all. Endogenous depression is known as clinical depression, and it needs more attention than reactive depression.
Depression occurrences continue to arise among people these days. In fact, statistics for UK, says that 10% of the country’s population were found out to have problems with their mental health. In America, roughly about 17 million among its population are going through different types of depressions.
To this date, no solid research supports the real cause of this mood disorder, but many believe that low levels of progesterone and depression are linked. Many studies also suggest that allergens in food, low level of cholesterol, and hypoglycemia could be large contributing factors to a gloomy disposition in life.
Furthermore, a malfunction in thyroid, a reduced level of serotonin, environmental estrogens, and any stressful event may also cause depression.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION?
- Progesterone and a balanced nutrition are the most effective way to overcome depression with over 80% success rate. These two, however, are often than not, ignored among natural remedies for depression.
- Serotonin and dopamine are widely proven to play very important roles in causing and preventing depression. To increase the amount of serotonin in body system means to prevent or treat depression and progesterone is one of the most effective natural remedies to do this.
- Serotonin and melatonin are considered monoamines together with dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline. Serotonin and melatonin come from the amino acid while phenylalanine and tyrosine are precursors to dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline. A substance that come from amino acid methionine called S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) has anti-depressive properties, but it is very expensive.
- There are evidence that methionine, folic acid, and vitamin B12 are effective and affordable natural remedies for depression. These supplements and compounds influence the level of serotonin in the body to prevent or treat mood instability.
- People with low levels of these B vitamins: 1,3,6,12 and folic acid, higher incidence of hypoglycemia, and an excessive excretion of cortisol are prone to depression.
- Progesterone and depression are associated with the interaction of the following drugs which cause an imbalance between the monoamines:
Avoid Post Natal Depression
Post Natal Depression (PND), acute or chronic, occurs to 10% of women after giving birth. PND happens when the placenta has been taken away resulting to a sudden drop of progesterone level. There are even rare cases (0.5%0) that develop to temporary postnatal psychosis among women who gave birth. Luckily, these cases can be cured with the help of progesterone treatment.
There are various mental and physical manifestations connected with depression. Milder problems among women may exhibit these manifestations during PMS and menopausal stages. The most severe, on the other hand, comes out in PMD, pre-menstrual and post-natal psychosis. The second one, in very rare cases, results to infanticide, murder or self-mutilation.
These manifestations can be prevented and cured with progesterone treatment, and the same goes for men regardless of age. It is highly important to maintain an adequate amount of progesterone level in the body that can be very helpful for women during puberty, PMS, and menopausal stages.
Ask your physician to test an underactive thyroid which can also cause depression. If diagnosed, supplemental progesterone together with nutrient-based natural remedies for depression can help increase the metabolism of thyroid.
Nutrients essential on a daily basis to fight depression
- 15 to 60ml Omega 3 flax oil
- 50mg zinc (extremely important for PND)
- 100 to 1000mg niacin (vitamin B3)
- 100 to 200mg vitamin B6 500mg inositol
- 500mg choline
- 1000 to 3000mg vitamin C
- 10 to 20mg manganese
- 200mcg chromium picolinate
- 500-1000mg magnesium
- 400mcg folic acid
- 300mcg vitamin B12
- 500mg-6gm of the amino acid tryptophan which are fundamental to the manufacture of serotonin
- 500-2gm tyrosine plus phenylalanine 400mg DL for the production of dopamine
- 500mg methionine
- 500mg GABA to relax and calm
Check out this website for more helpful tips and guides about Progesterone and depression
Still have Questions about Bio-Identical Progesterone Therapy? => Grab your Free Videos Series with the Expert